So, I switched to Firefox 3 RC 1. From the tests I’ve done it seems stable enough. In fact, it’s more stable than Firefox 2 which keeps crashing quite often. There were few add-ons that didn’t work right out of the box. Some did have a working development version available, others needed manual tweaking.
- Open Firefox add-on (.xpi file) in 7-zip (or similar).
- Select install.rdf file.
- Press F4 or click File–>Edit
- Change the value in em:maxVersion to 3.0.
- Save and Close.
- Click OK to update the XPI file. Close 7-zip.
- Double click to install the add-on.
- Hope that everything works fine.
Obviously this doesn’t work for all add-ons since only the maximum Firefox version number is changed. But if there isn’t a working version available, it’s worth a try.