Notes (week 48)

December 1st, 2007

I’ve been working this week with the new version of SpTBX library. It’s a set of controls that I use in CE (menu,toolbars,buttons etc.). Thanks to Robert Lee’s great work, the new version now supports skinning. I had to do quite a lot modifications to CE to make the new version work correctly but it’s mostly up and running now.

There’s few cool new themes available but some old themes are missing, like Aluminum.
ce_leopard_themece_office2007_silverce_office2007_black

I wrote a simple skin editor that makes it easier to create your own skins.
SpSkin Editor

SpSkin Editor, source + exe (852KB)
http://cubicreality.pp.fi/files/misc/SpSkinEditor.zip

I’m still not sure when the next release date is. I’ve done some work on the options dialog and have pretty good idea on how it will look and feel.

Progress notes

November 21st, 2007

I spent last week on hacking the LSLive NAS box. It’s now up and running. I’ve already moved CE’s sources to it. I’m using svnserve as the SVN server. The CE repository is automatically copied every night to a net drive that I’m subscribing. I’ll still have to do some plans on how I’ll backup my other important files but at least CE is now safe.

Anyway, I’m down with the flu now :( . Tried to do some work yesterday but can’t really concentrate at this condition. I decided to change the strategy as a result of the writers block. I’m now working on version 0.90. It means that the next release of CE will have some sort of options dialog (or at least a skeleton of it).

Progress notes and NAS

November 11th, 2007

Well, I’m feeling better and ready to start work tomorrow. I’m still not sure how effective I can be but the new work schedule is helping a lot. Once I’ll get used to it, I’m sure these type of blocks can be avoided. Last week I was working with CubicViewer but didn’t get much done. Although, I was able to design the base structure of it’s plug-in engine, so it wasn’t complete waste of time. There’s still a lot to do and because CV is not on top of the priority list, it’s going to be some time before there’s anything to show.

Buffalo LinkStation Live (HS-DH500GL v2)

I bought Buffalo’s NAS device last week. I’ve been meaning to build a file server from my old 800Mhz machine but never got around on building the case for it. Also regular computer use quite a lot of power, so running it 24/7 shows on the electric bill. This NAS device is like a mini computer. It has 400Mhz Arm processor and 128Mb of RAM. The operating system is Linux. It’s power consumption is about 21 watts so it’s not going to be as big of an issue.

nas_3 nas_1 nas_2

By default it only supports the basic NAS functionality of being a simple file storage. However I have some more advanced features in mind like SVN server and BitTorrent client. To make those features available you have to do a bit of hacking. I installed FreeLink which is a custom firmware containing the latest stable Debian build. After that you can install pretty much anything on the box.

SSH connection to the box after FreeLink upgrade:
Fresh boot of FreeLink

Here’s a very good site that is dedicated on hacking Buffalo’s NAS devices. You can find FreeLink and many step by step instructions there.

NAS-Central
http://nas-central.org/

Progress Notes

October 31st, 2007

Well, I’m stuck with the CE development. I’ve been suffering from a writers block about 2 weeks. It’s probably caused by the 16 hour work days that I’ve done 7 days a week for few months now. I’m going to lessen the work load and add more structure in the days. Also I’ll try to not work on weekends. Hopefully those actions will bring us back to the track.

Anyway, I’m now starting a side project that will also be part of CubicExplorer. It’s called CubicViewer and it’s main function is to display files, mainly images and video. It will replace the QuickView in CE but also it will be available as a separate application. Working with this new project should give me some distance on CE and hopefully will help in breaking the block.

Cubic Reality is updated

October 15th, 2007

Well I finally updated this site. I’m fairly happy with the graphics. The original plan was to have the sidebar menu visible also in the forum (that’s why I made this site wider), however it was too confusing for the eyes so I ended up hiding it. I’ll have to play around some more with the forum layout but for now it’s going to stay like it is, only some polishing will be done.

I updated the forum (SMF) to version 1.1.4 and switched the main site engine from Drupal to WordPress. I only need a simple engine that can handle blog posts and pages, WordPress does that very nicely. The biggest reason why I switched to WP was it’s ease of use. It’s very easy and comfortable to create new themes and plug-ins to it. Also WP is supported by Windows Live Writer which makes updating the content a lot easier.

If you have any thoughts or ideas for this site, let me know :)

Blog: WLW beta 3 and spell checking

Blog: Thunderbird, calendar and google.

Blog: New versions (WLW and FileZilla)

Some progress notes

September 16th, 2007

Well, the site update is still not done. I wasn’t happy with the graphics I had done so it’s back to the drawing board. I was on a vacation pretty much the whole August. In this month I’ll be doing some fundamental changes to my life. Those changes will hopefully have a positive effect on the development speed of CE and other planned projects.

Anyway, the goal of this fall is to have CE at version 0.90. That version should have multi-language support and options dialog. After that it’s time to prepare for version 1.0 with plug-in support and such ;)

Currently I’m working with 0.81 beta 1. I decided to add the built-in translation editor into the version 0.81.

Blog: DBDesigner 4